Saturday, June 20, 2009

Show Me My Money!

I know we live in the age of technology, I get going green and paperlessness, I recycle, I'm computerarily hip, I get it. But I like money, cash money. I'm not talking rolling around in piles of ill gotten booty, I'm talking about a check I take to the bank and get actual money in exchange.
The company I work for decided to go "paperless" on payday (although we still get the pay info and the slip that looks like a check but really isn't...) and pay us by putting our money on a Visa logo-ed paycard. Sounds clean, simple, handy even. Not so much, not always. So the other night the boys and I innocently went to grocery store (the day after payday) and loaded the cart with a week's worth of supplies including a certain girl thing I REALLY needed and made our way to the checkout. So far so good, nothing to indicate any sort of drama would follow. Purchases rung, sale totaled, card swiped and...nothing. A second swipe of the card produced a 'not approved contact card issuer' message. Odd, I thought when another swipe gave the same message, it seemed to me a bit more strident this time. Fine, I'll use the ATM and pay cash. This time the technology announced to me my card was simply not recognized. Curiouser and curiouser. Time for some answers and a call to the issuer got me nothing. I dutifully entered my card number (without it, you simply don't exist) and...nothing. Okay, I reasonably assume my cell phone isn't working inside the store. Repeated the process outside where reception is better. Still no luck. Well, shit. Back inside, rather red-faced and now more than a bit annoyed, I turned over my cart of bagged items (including my crucial girl purchase) and headed home to sort this matter out from the comfort of my kitchen. One more call in the parking lot of the store with no new information provided. I called a co-worker and asked her to call the card number to check her balance, she called back after experiencing the same result. At least I could stop taking it quite so personally, but really this information helps me not.
Upon arriving home, I gave the whole process another whirl from the house phone. At least this time produced a slightly different result. Instead of listening to nothingness, I get a rep who read a prewritten script : "Thankyouforcalling ------, wearecurrentlyupdatingoursystemandweapologizeforanyinconvenienceyoumaybeexperiencing. Tryyourcardagaininonehour." (By the way, it's very hard to type with no spaces...wow) CLICK. Did she just hang up on me!? She just hung up on me! Andrew pipes up with "Mom, they aren't paying that woman enough to talk to you right now." Good point. By this time, I'm starting to channel the paperboy from 'Better Off Dead', "I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!". An hour, fine. One hour. As instructed, I try again in an hour and get the same person (I believe they one have one phone rep) who takes a deep breath and launches into the script. No way, no how, not this time. I totally threw off her groove by interrupting with "Stop talking. I have a question." Evidently this was something new, the long pause followed by a rather cautious "Hello?" tells me I was among the first to rebel and deviate from the preplanned scenario. Upon asking this quite startled woman to speak to someone higher up the food chain, I get Paul the supervisor on the line. Paul immediately launched into the updating out system speech to which I felt compelled to ask why on God's green earth anyone would think updating (and completely disabling) a financial system at a high usage time (suppertime, after work grocery shopping time) was a smart move. Paul had no answers for me, not that I really expected him to. My suggestion that he leave a note for someone with the power to make these decision was met with silence first and then begrudging agreement followed up with the advice to try again in an hour. Two and a half hours have now passed since I abandoned my groceries and crucial girl items at the store. My resolve weakened slightly after a glass of wine and a couple of smokes, but rose again upon my discovery of only one girl item remaining in the house fished from the bottom of my purse with a slightly compromised wrapper. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Back to the phone. Finally, at 9:30 pm, the hostages are released, my money is returned from the electronic ether and I can at long last buy what needs to be bought. Perhaps because I am a glutton for punishment, or because I prepare myself for impending doom on a daily basis, I hit the button that gives me the rundown of my last ten transactions. "June 18th, 5:22pm, service fee 50 cents." "June 18th, 5:29pm, service fee, 50 cents." and so on, mirroring my fratic calls from the store and each subsequent call from home. Grand total: $4.50. I know it's not much, but HONESTLY. Here's where the paperboy got on his bike and called his buddies. I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS! Another journey through the electronic voiced netherworld, pushing the required numbers until I fought my way to yet another rep...a guy this time and not Paul. Upon expressing my dismay with as few blue words as possible, I'm told the fees weren't because of my calls but because my card didn't work. HUH?!?! But, I told him in my best mature, non-psychotic, reasonable grown up I'm not going to hunt you down and thump you with my car voice, it's your fault my card didn't work. I WANT MY FOUR FIFTY! Put the bunny back in the box. Step away. I WANT MY FOUR FIFTY!
11:00 pm, home from store. Bought bread, milk, chocolate ice cram and the crucial girl items. All seems quiet...too quiet. I got my four fifty two days later. They live for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I had a rather unpleasant call to Chase credit card this week that was pretty much "I want my flippin' $9.95!!" As it happened, I paid off my small balance last month by phone and was told I would be charged $9.95 for the phone transaction. I sucked it up like a big girl as I'd forgotten to mail the payoff in time and adjusted my check register for the $9.95 charge. When I got my envelope from Chase this month, I was busy and, knowing I'd paid the card off last month, I threw it in a pile of mail to be opened later, assuming it was blank checks or other advertising. I happened to be going through that pile this week, and low and behold, they'd put the $9.95 on this month's bill! It ticked me off, but since the bill was due that very day, I called again and once again sucked up the $9.95 service charge and paid the $9.95 off once again, assuming there had been an error. I actually listened to the recording where they inform you that they will put the fee on your next month's bill. This information comes well after you've been given your confirmation number. I called the service center and requested that I be allowed to pay that $9.95 off right that minute and said that I'd just paid $9.95 plus a $9.95 service charge and did not want to repeat the scenario next month. I was told that, "I can do that for you for an additional fee of $14.95, Mrs ____". All of a sudden, I saw red! I said, "If you think I'm gonna pay you $14.95 to pay off the service charge of $9.95, you are all frickin' nuts!" Of course, I got the standard reply to loonies, "I will hang up if you proceed to talk to me like that!" To which I replied, "Yeah, well go ahead and hang up! I want to talk to a supervisor!" "There is no supervisor that is going to change this!" That more than pissed me off and I threw out some threat like, "Go ahead and hang up on me because what I have to say is that I am calling the Better Business Bureau on you and your idiot rules! NOW, put me through to a Supervisor you idiot!" Looonnng pause! I really think they were reviewing the tapes, here, as they wanted to be prepared for this nut case. I finally got a self-assured sounding voice on the other end of the phone. She introduced herself as a supervisor and said that she'd love to help me. I told her that I was so upset I did not know if I could be appropriate, but all I wanted was to pay this month's service charge and not be charged another fee. I told her it was unfair to tag that bit of information on the end of the canned schpeil, when you've already gotten your confirmation number and most likely would have hung up. The supervisor said, "I can take care of that for you and also credit back the $9.95 fee you've been charged today." I thanked her and hung up. Why do little things like this have to be so difficult and make us into raging lunatics, just to get out $4.50/$9.95?! WWWHHHHYYY???????